Vilvam or Aegle marmelos commonly known as Bael is considered to be the most sacred plant in India. It is an inevitable part of religious rituals and has been used in ancient Indian medicines Siddha and Ayurveda from ages.
Vilvam is native to India and is found throughout the country. The plant is commonly known as Bael, Bilva, Stone Apple or wood apple. Vilvam is its Tamil name.
Vilvam is a wonder plant with every single part filled with medicinal qualities. Apart from being a delicious summer fruit it is being used in ancient Indian medicines from time immemorial. Vilvam is the single known member of monotypic genus Aegle. It is a slender, aromatic gum bearing tree which grows up to 18 meters in height. The tree bears gum and fruits have smooth woody shell which turns yellow on maturity.
Bael leaves are trifoliate and each leaflet is said to signify three ‘gunas namely Sattva, Rajas and Tamas. Vilvam leaves are known to be anti-diabetic, antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial. As per Siddha and Ayurveda, Vilvam leaves are often prescribed for gastrointestinal disorders. Vilvam is rich in nutrients, minerals, pytochemicals and antioxidants which add to its medicinal value.
Top Ten Benefits of Vilvam
- Vilvam leave extract is helpful in increasing immunity and is effective against seasonal diseases like cough, cold and fever.
- Children often get sick during cold weather. As per ancient medicine Vilvam extract is safe for children and can be given to them during such infections.
- Vilvam is rich in fibre which makes it a wonderful laxative. It has tannins which help relieve diarrhoea, cholera and other digestive disorders.
- Vilvam has anti oxidant properties as well due to which it helps remove toxins from body and improve overall metabolism.
- Vilvam is anti-inflammatory in nature and hence it is highly effective in both chronic and acute inflammation. Vilvam leaf paste applied on the inflamed part provides quick relief from inflammation.
- A concoction of Vilvam leaves with salt and carom is found to be highly effective in curing allergies caused by food products. The said combination is also known to relieve skin allergies.
- Vilvam leaves have phytochemicals which help maintain blood pressure. It has soothing effect on body and hence a fine paste of Vilvam leaves applied on forehead relieves headache.
- Vilvam is also known for its property to regulate thyroid secretion there by maintaining normal thyroid function and prevents hyperthyroidism.
- Vilvam is hepato-protective in nature and hence protects liver from injuries and keeps it healthy. Because of this property it is highly recommended in case of liver infections like cirrhosis, jaundice and other liver disorders. Vilvam is also found to have Ulcer healing potential.
- Vilvam has hypoglycaemic properties. It reduces oxidative stress on pancreas by reducing the free radicals and increases the level of antioxidants there by reducing the risk of diabetes. Regular use of Vilvam has shown good results in diabetic patients.
Vilvam has unmatched medicinal values however the following precautions will be helpful to enjoy its benefits without any side effects.
1. Vilvam should be avoided by pregnant women.
2. Since Vilvam reduces blood sugar levels, people who are hypoglycaemic should consult doctor before taking this remedy.
Buy online: https://www.yogisherbs.com/shop/vilvam-powder/
Disclaimer: The information provided is for educational purpose only, not intended as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies. Read more about our disclaimer https://www.yogisherbs.com/medical-disclaimer/