Vallarai has been used as a brain tonic for ages and also has many other medicinal uses which makes it a wonder herb. Vallarai has been used as a medicine in the Ayurvedic tradition of India for thousands of years and listed in the ‘Sushruta Samhita’, an ancient Indian medical text.
Vallari is known to re-vitalize the brain and nervous system, increase attention span and concentration, combat aging and improves blood circulation.
Vallarai, Centella asiatica is a small herbaceous plant which is native to wetlands in Asia. Vallarai is an aquatic herb easily found in swampy areas. It is known by different names in different parts of India; Vallarai or Vallarai Keerai is its Tamil name. It is called Mandukaparni in Sanskrit, brahma manduki, Gotu kola in Hindi and Indian Pennywort in English.
Vallarai is famous for enhancing the mental ability and is prescribed for students. It is also known for its cosmetic uses like improving complexion, skin texture and promoting hair growth. It is also used in day to day delicacies in southern states of India. It is used in making curry, vegetables and appetizers as well.
According to Charak Samhita regular intake of Vallarai works as cognitive enhancer – Medhya Rasasyana*. *Medhya Rasayanas are group of medicinal plants described in Ayurveda (Indian system of medicine) with multi-fold benefits, specifically to improve memory and intellect by Prabhava (specific action). Medha means intellect and/or retention and Rasayana means therapeutic procedure or preparation that on regular practice will boost nourishment, health, memory, intellect, immunity and hence longevity.
- Recent studies have indicated that Vallarai is neuro-protective in nature.
- Vallarai protects brain cells and rejuvenates them. It helps to improve memory and concentration span.
- Vallarai has calming effect on brain during mental stress and anxiety and found to be useful in the treatment of Insomnia, depression and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Vallarai a blood purifier, used for treating high blood pressure and said to promote longevity.
- Consumption of Vallarai improves voice and complexion.
- Vallarai improves immunity and helps relieve high temperature in adults and kids as well.
- Vallarai promotes faster healing of wounds. It can be applied on open wounds to accelerate healing process.
- According to Ayurveda, Vallarai has cooling effect on body because of which it pacifies Pitta and relieves hyperacidity, ulcers, diarrhoea and dysentery.
- Vallarai is recommended for the treatment of various skin conditions such as leprosy, lupus, varicose ulcers, eczema, psoriasis and cellulite. It is very effective in treatment of acne and pimples as well.
- Vallarai increases the production of collagen thereby keeping the skin healthy and youthful.
- Vallarai is also known to promote hair growth and reduce hair fall.
Administration and usage:
Vallarai is used extensively in cooking and hence is easily available in vegetable markets. It is also available in powdered form and tablets. It can also be cooked along with other vegetables and made a part of daily diet.
In Tamil Nadu Vallarai Keerai – Kootu, dosai, Thuvaiyal (Chutney, which can be served with snacks) are quite popular. It can also be taken with soup.
Though all these options does not affect medicinal properties of this herb, having it fresh still gives the best results. If it is difficult to get, the powdered form of dry leaves can safely be used. So next time you feel stressed, just try this wonder herb and relax your nerves naturally.
Buy online: https://www.yogisherbs.com/shop/vallarai-powder/
Disclaimer: The information provided is for educational purpose only, not intended as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies. Read more about our disclaimer https://www.yogisherbs.com/medical-disclaimer/